nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Synthetic tree mulch rings

  • From: athagan@atlantic.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Synthetic tree mulch rings
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:21:24 -0400

The ones I have seen in use here in Florida did not much impress me. OK for weed suppression, miserable poor for moisture retention and probably not much for nutrient retention in our sandy soil either.

Quoting Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>:

I saw them in Sam's Club last year. I saw them in Wal-mart today. They
are 2 feet in diameter, have a center hole where the trunk goes and a
slit so that it can be fitted around the tree. They look like real mulch
but smell like they are made from recycled tires or something. My fruit
trees grow in my lawn and these would be low enough to mow over the
edges, at the same time keeping the mower well away from the trunk.

Anyone use these? Can anyone think of any problem with using these? For
years, I have used a donut of grass clippings as a mulch, but it
disappears pretty fast and weed take over again. Ground ivy especially
likes to grow over and through the grass clipping mulch.

Steve in the Adirondacks