nafex - [NAFEX] Hen Fruit: Was Eggs of enlightenment- giving food away

  • From: athagan@atlantic.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hen Fruit: Was Eggs of enlightenment- giving food away
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:18:57 -0400

Over the years I've heard every nutty idea folks can dream up when it comes to eggs. I did once have a lady who brought her eggs back to me. "Too strong tasting" she said. What can I say? I shrugged my shoulders and gave her money back. I've got others who want me to set up a hen cam so they can watch the birds all day! The blue and green eggs from the Easter Eggers always need explaining, but once they accept they are real, natural, undyed, non-GMO eggs they start expecting them in every dozen. It's sort of a signature thing now that every dozen gets one green, one white, and ten others ranging from chocolate brown to the palest cream all arranged as artfully as the eggs of the day will allow. And they complain if for some reason they don't get that colored one! The kids in particular really get a kick out of them.

The quality issue is important especially for those who are having to fly under the radar when selling their hen fruit. I won't sell an egg over a week old and any that we do sell are gathered, washed, and packed the day they are laid. Any that are small, stained, mishappen, or splotchy are either eaten by us or go into the charity eggs (the local homeless shelter is not discriminating so long as they actually get them). The folks who have kept hens in the past are not so particular either, but unfortunately they number few among my customers. All the rest are those who are vicariously experiencing 'farm life' through the local foods they purchase, but they want them to be clean, fresh, uniform in size and presentable. I charge more than the stores get for their bland factory eggs so I try to give them what they want.

.....Alan.

Quoting Naomi Counides <naomi@oznayim.us>:

I remember when Brent Stauff gave me a dozen fresh eggs from his chickens.
He would weed his garden and throw the weeds to the chickens. The yolks
were dark orange and tasted so "eggy". I had rice with an egg cooked over
easy on top of it every day for a week. I would prick the yolk so it would
run into the rice like a sauce. It was a whole new food experience.. and
started me on the road to perdition that I now travel.

Naomi
_____

I've met a few people who won't eat my farm eggs. They didn't come from the
store. Are they safe? Won't they spoil if they aren't in the refrigerator?
One threw them away after she had them a week because they were too old. And
some even dumber ideas than that. And they know they're right so I don't try
to educate, but I never give them eggs again. The other side of the coin are
the people who insist on brown eggs and truly appreciate what my chickie
girls have done and gladly pay me more than they'd pay at Wal Mart.