nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Jostaberries?

  • From: Lee Reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Jostaberries?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:10:45 -0400

I address this problem in the chapter on jostaberries in my book Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden. Here's is what I wrote:

An unpruned jostaberry can bear prolifically---too prolifically, in fact, with a resultant loss in fruit quality. On the other hand, some jostaberry plants seem to grow rampantly yet yield just a handful of berries. “Jostaberry” represents a number of hybrid plants, and the problem of low yield could possibly be indicative of a poor-yielding clone. Self-sterility or lack of pollination are other possibilities.

My suggestion is to get rid of the plants and get new ones which hopefully are a different, and better, clone.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
A Northeast Gardener's Year
The Pruning Book