nafex - Re: [NAFEX] free mulch not all bad

  • From: "Erdman, James" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] free mulch not all bad
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 07:39:57 -0500

Our city composts the bagged leaves that they pick up each fall, and the
piles of composted leaves are free for the taking, and it is available
year around. I usually fill 20 or more 5 gallon buckets when I pick
some up as the pails are easier to manage than if I had just filled the
truck or trailer. They also have piles of wood chips that are dumped by
the local tree services, but those disappear quickly, so I only get some
of them if I happen to go to the landfill when the pile is large.

I have been using both the composted leaves and the chips for a few
years with good results. There is an occasional pine cone, twig, piece
of plastic, or pop can in the leaf dirt, but not much.

Jim, in Menomonie, WI