nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Evans or Bali cherry

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Evans or Bali cherry
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 16:28:20 -0700 (PDT)

Her Evan's cherries are on their own roots: I'm getting some suckers from her
to use as rootstock this spring. My trees are all on their own roots: I have
never seen a grafted Evan's cherry for sale and I too have no idea why anyone
would go to the bother of grafting something that does so well on it's own
roots.

I was at another friend's house yesterday (also in the same area) and they
are having trouble growing fruit trees, including the practically
indestructible Evan's cherry tree. I wonder if their problem is that their
fruit trees are in a very protected and low pocket/frost hollow so the trees
leaf out/blossom too soon in spring and perhaps don't harden off properly in
fall.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB