nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Evans or Bali cherry

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Evans or Bali cherry
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 21:09:19 -0700 (PDT)

I find your story quite bizarre. Every year I go pick cherries by the five
gallon pail off my friends Evan's cherry trees (she has 7 growing and
suckering like weeds on top of a exposed windy hill). Every year we merely
admire the bumper crop of cherries that are well out of our reach on a 10
foot ladder! And we hit -45 F pretty much every year and usually have a nice
cold North wind chill to add to that.

But I have heard that the cherries that do well up here (Evan's and the U. of
S. collection) like poor soil. That's not really a problem for us as we have
this really great clay that ensures everything grows nice and slow!
>From what I see, we don't get 4" caliper tree in less than 10 years in this
>area.

Sarah
zone 3