nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Eggs of enlightenment

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Eggs of enlightenment
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 21:18:06 -0700 (PDT)

You should hear the comments we get when people see our green and blue eggs
from our Americauna chickens! They usually think they are mouldy! I also
laugh at the people who want to buy "farm fresh eggs", but first want to know
if they have those 'awful dark orange yolks"! Why, yes they do and I feed my
chickens alfalfa hay all winter to make sure they stay that way (weeds, grass
and horror of horrors: worms, slugs and bugs in the summer too!).

On the other hand, we have no trouble selling all the eggs we care to produce
to my husbands co-workers for twice what our neighbours get: some people do
appreciate the dark yolks and the flavour.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB

I remember when Brent Stauff gave me a dozen fresh eggs from his chickens.
He would weed his garden and throw the weeds to the chickens.  The yolks were
dark orange and tasted so “eggy”.

Naomi

I've met a few people who won't eat my farm eggs. They didn't come from the
store. Are they safe? Won't they spoil if they aren't in the refrigerator?
One threw them away after she had them a week because they were too old. And
some even dumber ideas than that. And they know they're right so I don't try
to educate, but I never give them eggs again. The other side of the coin are
the people who insist on brown eggs and truly appreciate what my chickie
girls have done and gladly pay me more than they'd pay at Wal Mart.

Toni in zone 4 Iowa USA