nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Eggs of enlightenment

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Eggs of enlightenment
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 00:31:07 -0500

I've had lots of "farm fresh eggs" from different folks. I tend to like
the dark yolks a little better, than typical caged layer eggs. However, a
significant problem from local producers, is uniform quality. Some eggs
from locals have been too old, from not gathering daily (they float in
water). Many times they have chicken poop on them, whereas store-bought
eggs are washed. Uniform size is another issue with local eggs (uniformity
is not a big issue, but still, when half the dozen is small eggs, you're
getting less eggs for your money, unless the smaller eggs are reflected in
the price). Shell color makes no difference to me.

I like the dark yolk eggs from locals, but quality has been an issue.

Mark
KS