nafex - [NAFEX] permanent labels

  • From: "Tim Inman" <Tim@historicinteriors.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] permanent labels
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 19:00:49 -0500

My wife teases me about my 'tree gravestones' but they work for me.  Here's what I do:

I went to a hobby store and bought a set of cheap plastic reversed letter stamps.  Kids use them to stamp their names into plaster, concrete or clay.  The set has numbers with it, too.

I made a little slip form for concrete that is about the size of a book.  Maybe 8 X 12 inches.  It is 1 1/2 inches deep since I cut the pieces from a 2x4.  When I'm ready to make my permanent markers, I mix up some super rich concrete (Sack-crete from the farm store, plus some extra portland cement).  I put it into my little slip form and level it off.  I can slip this form off and make a bunch of little concrete patties if I'm in the mood.

After a little setting time, the concrete gets 'right' and I then press in the letters to name and date the tree.  I usually also mark the source.  Then when they have set up and I'm in the mood, I take my little tree gravestones out to the orchard and cut them into the sod so they're just level with the surface.  We can mow over them, and when I do my walk-arounds in the mornings with a cup of coffee, I can see what trees I'm staring at.  The print is big enough I don't even have to squint or bend over.

Works for me.

Tim Inman

  • [NAFEX] permanent labels, Tim Inman, 04/09/2009