nafex - [NAFEX] What time to graft apples?

  • From: walter6353@myfairpoint.net
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] What time to graft apples?
  • Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 17:43:50 -0400

Is there a definitive time that grafting of apples can begin? Knowing the earliest possible time might make it possible to cut a scion and walk over to another tree and graft it on, all on the same day. I'm hoping that there is a window of possibility for this, although obviously a tree can't be both dormant and budding at the same time. I've heard to wait until the bark "slips" but never really knew what that meant. Waiting for the buds to swell is another possibility, but bud swelling here often starts with just a few buds on a warm day and then stops until the weather warms again. Also, when is it too late to graft?