nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What time to graft apples?

  • From: Richard O'Barr <topgun@otelco.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What time to graft apples?
  • Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 06:40:56 -0500

An oldtimer in Louisiana talking about grafting pecans said that you could graft anytime your knife was sharp after your Christmas whiskey was gone. As far as apples are concerned, I graft here in AL anytime in March but I prefer to wait until about 2 weeks before the last frost as the earliest to avoid too much fresh callus developing and having it subjected to frost. As for lateness, grafts will take up until the bark stops slipping; however, you need to have time for the new growth to grow and mature before winter. Here again I like to be finished by July.

I am sure you will receive numerous other posts closer to your area from the northern apple experts. I have about 30,10 yr old trees.

Topgun

Shambeda wrote:
In order to have an example for my grafting class, I dug up a sucker in the orchard and grafted it the 2nd week of February.
I kept it in a pot of course. Very early whip and tongue graft for my area, but I wanted to show the students a success.
This could could have been done earlier.
Steve---- Zone 6 in Pennsylvania