nafex - Re: [NAFEX] picky eaters

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] picky eaters
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 07:27:55 -0400

In my experience kids will eat anything at age 2 or 3, but get very suspicious of new foods, and picky about foods in general at about age 5.  Mine went to nursery school (and ate lunch there), so that wasn't when they started school.

I suspect that back in hunter-gatherer days, five-year-olds were old enough to wander off on their own, but not old enough to have learned what is safe to eat, so a built-in suspicion of anything unfamiliar or strongly flavored was a good thing.

We made a joke of it and said that five-year-olds are allowed to be picky eaters, but at six they have to start tasting everything we served again.  That worked very well - both teens have some food dislikes, but both are willing to try new things and neither is a picky eater.  In particular, both are happy to try new fruits, and graze from my garden.  But there must be something wrong with my son - he doesn't like raspberries!

Ginda