nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Chums and sweet cherries in the north

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Chums and sweet cherries in the north
  • Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 21:33:47 -0400

Hi Ernest,

It gets down to about -30deg C (about -22degF), and worse case -35degC (-30degF) in the heart of winter. We get quite a lot snow cover and I don't get too blasted by northerly winds. Spring is pretty late through, we're up for some snow here, and last frost is typically May 1st.

Chum is the abbreviation for Cherry-plum. They are typically very hardy and dwarf (2m) from what I have read. Apparently the fruit are about 3cm in diameter. Also very ornamental in bloom.

Kim, thanks for the link to DNA, I have checked out their site before, I was wondering if anyone had first hand experience. I read some varieties have tough skin, I was wondering does this mean that they need peeling, or is it chewy? Are they really quite tasty and sweet compared to plums or are they all stone and not much fruit to speak of?

I have a Carmine Jewel that I have had for 2 years and I've had increasing crops both of those years, although not enough to do anything interesting with. Still it's only 1m tall, so I can't complain. The other is a Crimson Passion whip that I planted last year, so haven't had any fruit yet. I like the fact that the mature bushes are small, but the Carmine Jewel fruit is also small and relatively tart, definitely better for juice and pies than for fresh eating.

If anyone has tasted any chums I would be interested to hear your opinions.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com>