nafex - [NAFEX] the apple/dogwood borer and how to fight them

  • From: seth jones <setjon@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] the apple/dogwood borer and how to fight them
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 12:19:47 -0400

I have a smallĀ  (150 tree) orchard which I have been planting over the past 6 years. Trees range from dwarfs on B9 to Antonovka. As the trees were not ready to bear I was following the low input (ie: lazy) techniques of orcharding. I sprayed some foliar nutritives like kelp but was more concerned with four legged attackers than anything else. My intent is to use as little chemical spraying as at all possible.

Last year i discovered borer damage on approximately 40 of my trees. I lost six or seven and had some pretty heavy damage on many others. Spent much of my summer on my hands and knees with an assortment of wires, drill bits, razors, and curses, etc. Treated the opened cavities with pyrethrin and painted the trunks a clay/latex slurry. Pretty certain that many avoided me and are still inside.

As I approach the coming year I am leaning toward an application of Lorsban as a trunk spray just after petal fall to kinda wipe the slate clean. Would like to get input on this. How effective? Tips on usage? Other ideas? I was also considering painting the trunks with the Lorsban rather than spraying to minimize overspray. Any advice would be helpful. Also any other ideas for prevention going forward.
Thanks a lot
Seth Jones
Zone 5 west NY