nafex - Re: [NAFEX] SSE fruit conservation

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] SSE fruit conservation
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:49:35 -0700 (PDT)

SSE does have an amazing collection of fruits: but it seems to be primarily
apples, often Southern in heritage and definitely not the stuff I have and am
focusing on. I also don't think they can ship budwood across the border to
me, if I'm wrong, please correct me. SSE is very concerned about the fact
that a lot of genetic material is being lost every year because their stuff
is often offered by only one person and not offered consistently or ever
again in a lot of cases.

Unfortunately in Canada, our Seeds of Diversity organization is even worse
off because we doesn't have a staffed central farm like the SSE. All of our
offerings are only being grower maintained... which comes back to my concern
about the age of the owners of the small/local fruit tree collections that
I'm aware of. SOD also doesn't usually have more than a handful of fruit
tree offerings in our yearly catalogue.

Canada's Clonal Genebank has a great collection of all kinds of fruiting
things, but again they focus on accessions that were developed in/for or do
well back east which doesn't translate well to fruit on the prairies.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB