nafex - Re: [NAFEX] SSE fruit conservation

  • From: david.maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] SSE fruit conservation
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 14:16:31 -0300

Sarah, I wouldn't write off the Canadian Clonal Genebank quite so quickly.
They will have all
the Morden cultivars. (I note that you have a number of these already). I
know that they also
have a number of cultivars from Scandinavia, (which will be hardy in Zone 3).
Check with
Margie Luffman. (They have never gotten around to putting their holdings on
line, and I am
not sure there is even a paper copy of what they have, but Margie is
extremely knowledgable
and bends over backwards to help. If she doesn't have it, she will get it.
For example, I am
trying to re-create an orchard with French apple varieties which existed in
1632 (when Simon
de Rasillly established the first capital of New France at the mouth of the
LaHave River, and
planted apple trees at the site.) Margie has scoured the globe to get me
grafting wood. (In
the interests of full disclosure, while she got budwood, and grafted it to
trees at Harrow, she
has in fact been unable to grow them out to be able to supply me with scions.
I have
however gotten wood from another NAFEX member, and will be planting the trees
at the site
this spring. But that is a bit of a digression from my original point:
Margie likely has it, and if
she doesn't she will try to get it.)

You are right about the amateurs getting older. I am pushing 70 myself. But
I have managed
to get a young man locally interested, and I think he will carry on when I
enter my dottage.
Perhaps all us old geezers should take on the responsibility of recruiting at
least one new
young member to whom to pass the torch...

David Maxwell
Balmy zone 5, Nova Scotia,(although today we have a snowfall up to 30 cm.)