nafex - Re: [NAFEX] SSE fruit conservation

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] SSE fruit conservation
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:56:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi David,

I'm not writing off CCG! Part of my current collection and even grafting
material this year is from them. Margie is a lovely lady and she very
happily sends out a hard copy of all CCG lists to anyone who inquires.
However, the lack of varietal information is a definite drawback to the full
utilization of their accession collections. My main point of contention with
CCG is that I can buy the Morden cultivars at any nursery/Canadian Tire in
the area these days, but CCG doesn't carry most of the varieties that even I
have accumulated in the last 3 years. They focus on Eastern/less hardy
varieties. I still haven't been able to get my hands on some of the trees
that used to be offered by the now closed nurseries and I also have only one
tree of most of my varieties so I could loose perfectly hardy varieties too.

I will have to inquire about Scandinavia cultivars. Thanks for the note.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB