nafex - Re: [NAFEX] re pecans and persimmons

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] re pecans and persimmons
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:21:32 -0500

At 12:58 PM 3/25/2009, you wrote:
I've heard that persimmons are very difficult to move successfully, but have nothing to lose in trying since they are in a place where they are not wanted.

Scott,
I've moved dormant persimmons - both in fall and late winter/early spring - and can't really tell that one is better or worse than another.
I'm getting to the point that I much prefer to graft onto established seedlings, started from seed or nut where I want them growing rather than dedicating a couple of years growing the rootstock in nursery beds, grafting & growing them out for another year or two, and then losing the graft due to the fact that I'm probably not going to be coming back and doing anything in the way of aftercare - I just don't have time.

Lucky