nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Subject: H.R. 875 more trouble OT

  • From: Kevin Moore <aleguy33@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Subject: H.R. 875 more trouble OT
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 12:08:46 -0700 (PDT)

As far as food safety and security are concerned. It seems to me that the problems arise because of the global corporate culture that has come to dominate food production and distribution. The safest and healthiest food is grown locally by yourself and/or small local farmers. When you have a personal relationship with the people who produce what you eat, they're far less likely to engage in practices that put profit over safety and quality.
Homeland security doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation for doing things well. (Anyone remember a couple of storms called Katrina and Rita?)
More government is rarely better government. If they really want to do something about food safety, maybe they should start teaching home economics in the public schools again. Civics classes are probably too much to hope for.