nafex - [NAFEX] Mapping Tree Locations

  • From: Andrew Dewey <andrew@beeberrywoods.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mapping Tree Locations
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:07:41 -0500

Greetings Nafexers!

After lurking and enjoying the exchanges of the past few weeks I've got a question for the collective wisdom of the list.

Can anyone recommend decent and inexpensive software for mapping tree locations? Let me explain. My wife and I have 90 acres in Washington County, Maine. I've planted a small orchard of about 10 apple trees - and have identified another 8 or so wild apple trees scattered over the property. Using a hand held GPS I know the location of each tree. I'd like to enter this information into mapping software, perhaps tied to a database where variety and other information can be stored. For example, one of the trees I planted might be: Black Oxford, Fedco, 2006. No fruit yet. One of the "wild" trees might be: Unknown red skinned apple, 20 feet tall, apples continue to hang on the tree until New Years. Evidence of deer and bear feeding. Brush cleared from around tree in 2008.

Any thoughts/ideas will be greatly appreciated! I can see expanding this to include my wife's peach trees and other trees (primarily linden) that I've started.

Regards,

Andrew
zone 4 to 5