nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Heritage

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Heritage
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 08:44:24 -0500

On Feb 20, 2009, at 1:47 PM, fuwa fuwa usagi wrote:

I grew Autumn Bliss and Autumn Britten, and Polana, Taylor, Fall Gold, Anne, Hilton and gosh knows what else and they succumb over time to the environmental pathogens. Heritage is still going strong having outlasted every variety I have planted. I am not sure, but I would guess mine are 12-14 years old.

I have a small stand of "Fall Red" everbearing raspberry in my backyard that is still going strong about 12 years since I planted it. I had a couple of off years a few years back. It was right after I spread ashes from my grill around the raspberries, but it might have just been a bad case of cane borer. I have since learned to manage the cane borers (cut any affected canes as soon as I notice a problem) and either that or time has solved the problem. It's not a difficult crop for me to grow - it's my most reliable crop, in fact.

I picked "Fall Red" over "Heritage" because I tasted both grown a couple of miles from me, and "Fall Red" tasted like a good raspberry, whereas "Heritage" had a slightly dry flavor. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I've noticed it in purchased raspberries as well. Now, I love raspberries, and Heritage is tasty enough. But "Fall Red", which is not known for outstanding flavor, is much better, to my palate, as grown in my location. So I am also puzzled to see it touted as "the standard". But maybe it is more widely adapted.

Ginda Fisher
eastern Mass, zone 6