nafex - [NAFEX] Mapping Tree Locations

  • From: Andrew Dewey <andrew@beeberrywoods.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mapping Tree Locations
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 14:05:03 -0500

From: Heath Flax <8orge.onx@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 73, Issue 7

Re: Mapping Tree Locations

Can anyone recommend decent and inexpensive software for mapping tree
locations?

Cool.  You might try google maps.  They have a free kit for small-
scale use, such as you describe.  My husband has played with it and
found it fairly user-friendly.  And the price is right.

A possible plus which might be encountered in using Google Maps,
especially focusing on a level of the overall woods in a given
setting--and maybe even the level of just the  trees themselves or
even individual trees:  with luck and high enough resolution (for the
particular site: which on GM apparently is dependent upon what's
available for the given site, and so, varies) of the Satellite View in
Google Maps is possible "considerable" detail sometimes viewable, at
high highest  resolutions if they're available.
Alas Google Maps doesn't seem to have my location in a high enough resolution for me to make it work.  So I'm still looking for a solution.  I would think the GPS locations of my trees would be helpful.

Regards,

Andrew