nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Heritage

  • From: Diane Porter <dporter@lisco.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Heritage
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 16:23:01 -0600

What are primocane/floricane fruiters?

Diane Porter
Birdwatching Dot Com
Birdwatching is your lifetime ticket to the theater of nature.

On Feb 21, 2009, at 9:50 AM, Michael Dossett wrote:

 I don't think the flavor of any of the primocane fruiters is as good as the best floricane fruiters but until recently there weren't many primocane fruiting options out there for people to choose from so I think it has been viewed with less importance.  Hopefully this is changing, though primocane fruiting raspberry breeding has now been shifted in large part with a focus on those genotypes adapted to growing in California and Mexico with low chilling and hot summers.  There is interest in breeding primocane fruiters for elsewhere as well, just not nearly to the same level and I think they still play second fiddle to summer fruiters in most areas.

Michael

Michael Dossett Corvallis, Oregon www.Mdossettphoto.com phainopepla@yahoo.com