nafex - [NAFEX] Heritage

  • From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Heritage
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:47:55 -0800

Jim writes:

I keep hearing Heritage Raspberry being recommended and I wonder
why. At one time I grew Autumn Bliss, Dinkum, Polana and Heritage (all
two-crop-per-year raspberries) and Heritage was the poorest performer.
In fact it performed so poorly, by comparison, that I grubbed it out after a
few of seasons. Berry size and total production was less than all others,
including my 5 varieties of summer berries. When I left it bear a second
crop, it failed to ripen before my first killing frost.

I would recommend it for anyone who has summer berries and wants to
extend their crop because Heritage ripened for me at about the time when
the summer raspberries were almost finished.

My reply:

Keeping to the party line, fruits and vegetables are regional in nature.
Heritage performs well in other areas. Here, under decent cultivation
practices I get canes that you can dry and use as supports for tomatoes. 4-5
feet and large diameter. It does nto seem to peter out after 7 years of so,
and the fruits, when full ripe are delicious. It freezes well, makes great
jam, and is awesome out of hand.

I grew Autumn Bliss and Autumn Britten, and Polana, Taylor, Fall Gold, Anne,
Hilton and gosh knows what else and they succumb over time to the
environmental pathogens. Heritage is still going strong having outlasted
every variety I have planted. I am not sure, but I would guess mine are
12-14 years old.

Once again I am home-grower, so longevity is the thing. I don’t have the
luxury of a down year (if you ever bought fruit in the Midwest you would
understand it – it is nasty at the grocery store). Having to wait years to
replant raspberries, is a killer. But if you have a yard, you probably
have a limited garden area and architectural landscape specimens you have to
work around, so it matters.

I also know you did not comment on flavor. Autumn Bliss and Autumn Britten I
think were a bit better than Heritage, but Polana - no way.

Excelsior,

tfb

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====