nafex - Re: [NAFEX] coffee grounds as compost-caffeine?

  • From: Mathew Waehner <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] coffee grounds as compost-caffeine?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:44:56 -0500

I've read that coffee grounds are 2% nitrogen.

I think the main concern with tilling in mulch type materials is that they will "steal" nitrogen as they get colonised by bacteria and fungus, which need nitrogen.  Since coffee grounds are loaded with nitrogen, I don't think that will be a problem.

As far as caffeine, I've seen red wriggler worms, soldier fly larvae, and pill bugs eat coffee grounds and live.  I used to worry about it, but now I don't.  I've read some articles about a slug killer under development using caffeine, but it was about twice as strong as fresh grounds.