nafex - Re: [NAFEX] coffee grounds as compost-caffeine?

  • From: Kevin Moore <aleguy33@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] coffee grounds as compost-caffeine?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 09:09:35 -0800 (PST)

Some say caffeine is a problem because it leaches into surface waters and can be toxic to fish and other aquatic species. It take surprisingly little to have a fish kill. You can use grounds directly in the garden, but I find they work best to supercharge a compost pile, though I like to grow mushrooms in them first.