nafex - [NAFEX] Gold Raspberry help

  • From: Rosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Gold Raspberry help
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 20:36:27 -0500

I have 2 different gold raspberries, Fall Gold and Anne. Both bear in the summer and fall, but I like the summer crop better even if I have to fight the Jap Beetles for 'em, because the yellow jackets clean me out in the fall. (Yeah, I know the ducks would rid me of beetles, but I can't keep ducks right now.) Fall Gold stays fairly short and acts like a red raspberry, but Anne! wow, it rebears on the primo and flori-canes, doesn't seem to send up new sprouts readily, grows up and up and over with a huge elongated berry - and altogether acts weird - I am used to black raspberries, and can handle Fall Gold, but need some advice on Anne. Does anyone have any experience with an Anne type raspberry they could share? Should I mow down, clip down to 2', what - and when? Stella Otto's "Back Yard Berry Book" is short of advice on the varieties I'm growing. I treat Fall Gold like an everbearing red, and that seems to work, but they seem to "lean around" a lot. Is that a symptom of clumps too close?
Advice would be appreciated!