nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Gold Raspberry help----LOCATION??

  • From: "Erdman, James" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Gold Raspberry help----LOCATION??
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 07:41:32 -0600

Where are you located?

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Rosholdt
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 7:36 PM
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [NAFEX] Gold Raspberry help

I have 2 different gold raspberries, Fall Gold and Anne. Both bear in
the summer and fall, but I like the summer crop better even if I have to

fight the Jap Beetles for 'em, because the yellow jackets clean me out
in the fall. (Yeah, I know the ducks would rid me of beetles, but I
can't keep ducks right now.) Fall Gold stays fairly short and acts like

a red raspberry, but Anne! wow, it rebears on the primo and
flori-canes, doesn't seem to send up new sprouts readily, grows up and
up and over with a huge elongated berry - and altogether acts weird - I
am used to black raspberries, and can handle Fall Gold, but need some
advice on Anne. Does anyone have any experience with an Anne type
raspberry they could share? Should I mow down, clip down to 2', what -
and when? Stella Otto's "Back Yard Berry Book" is short of advice on
the varieties I'm growing. I treat Fall Gold like an everbearing red,
and that seems to work, but they seem to "lean around" a lot. Is that a

symptom of clumps too close?
Advice would be appreciated!