nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Using Pomona Anthony Curcio

  • From: Don Yellman <don.yellman@webformation.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Using Pomona Anthony Curcio
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:32:11 -0500

Erdman, James wrote:
Although I (or my wife) have never had success using Pomona over the
last 25 years or so, I may give it another try after reading all of the
success stories here. I have used it to attempt to make strawberry jam,
and follow the instructions faithfully, bought fresh packages of Pomona,
and used twice as much as called for, and never got anything thicker
than runny sauce. I have tried peaches and strawberries, and probably
other fruit over the years. I like jam that doesn't run off my toast if
I don't hold the toast perfectly flat for a second, and the stuff I have
done with Pomona was much runnier than that.

But I may give it one m ore try this spring.

Jim in Menomonie, WI

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----
to change other email options):

Please do not send binary files.
Use plain text ONLY in emails!

NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/

Jim:

This is a real puzzle. We have been using Pomona's for over 20 years, and have been unable to make it fail unless we get down to 1/2 the recommended amount of pectin. 2/3 the amount gives us a perfect, spreadable product. It makes no difference what type of fruit we use; blackberries, raspberries, grapes, blueberries, apricots, cherries, strawberries, it always comes out fine if we use the correct amount of pectin. If we used twice the recommended amount, we would have to chip the jelly out with a chisel. We are still using the Pomona's I purchased over ten years ago from Mellinger's Nursery in Ohio, which is now out of business, so it doesn't have to be fresh to work.
Although most of our jams and jellies are made with ordinary sugar in
moderate amounts, we have also used Splenda and Equal, and the Pomona's still
works, although without a small amount of sugar to dry-blend the pectin
before adding to the hot juice we have to be more careful to avoid clumping
of the pectin. We always hot-pack our jams and jellies to avoid boiling in a
water bath.

If there is one drawback to making low-sugar jams and jellies, it is the fact
that keeping qualities of the products are not as good in the absence of much
of the natural preservative quality of sugar, and they should be used in 2
years or less. But they sure taste a lot better with lower sugar.

Give it another try.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA