nafex - [NAFEX] Jam results with Pomona

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Jam results with Pomona
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:43:28 -0600

Thanks to everyone with the advice on using Pomona's. The second batch of
black berry jam seems to have turned out better. I used exactly 2/3 the
amount of pectin recommended on the insert. Cooked pulp to a rolling boil
this time. Used citric acid instead of lemon juice. Let it cool in the
refrigderator to test set. Came out with a nice spreadable product.

A lot of folks use a food mill to separate the seeds, but since I don't have
one, someone recommended using a blender and a sieve. Although surely a
food mill would be faster, I'm amazed how well the blender and sieve worked.
Was able to puree and strain out seeds in about 6 minutes, ending with 4
cups of finished puree.

Mark
KS