nafex - [NAFEX] Pomona's and gelling

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pomona's and gelling
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 08:56:55 -0600

Here at Brambleberry farm, we make jelly and jam in 5 gallon lots and, using Pomona's Pectin, it nearly always gels. We NEVER bring it to a boil. Instead, we start jarring when it reaches 200 degrees F. Compared to making home-size batches of jelly, our 5-gallon batch has to cook alot longer to reach the same heat, consequently, the pectin dissolves.
When we get a batch that doesn't gel, it is usually because someone forgot to check the pH. The highest acceptable pH is 4.6 but we have fewer problems by maintaining pH 3.6. Very rarely a batch refuses to gel no matter what we do. In those cases, the fruit contains an inhibitor for which we have yet to figure out a test for.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more:
www.jellygal.com
1-877-265-6856 (Toll Free)
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] Pomona's and gelling, Jim Fruth, 02/12/2009