nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT Amateur Beer Brewers?

  • From: "Naomi Counides" <naomi@oznayim.us>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT Amateur Beer Brewers?
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 14:01:14 -0700

I am trying to guess my way into a recipe.  Looking for a place to start.  I have looked at honey beers and think that for a 5 gallon batch 1.5 to 2 pounds seems common.  Still working on the cocoa powder (or cocoa nibs) guess but 16 ounces might be close or the high limit.  Peppers are a problem.  Most chili beer recipes seem to be aiming at blow your head off.  This is a more subtle approach to heat. Ancho chilies are used in the Theobroma. I am also wondering about dropping a vanilla bean in.  Annatto  is part of the recipe but I am wondering if it is more of a color agent than a flavor.

Naomi