nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Persimmon question for Jerry L - Anthony Curcio

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Persimmon question for Jerry L - Anthony Curcio
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 21:55:33 EST

In a message dated 2/6/2009 3:34:58 PM Eastern Standard Time, apc@vassolinc.com writes:

Might I tap into your 19 yrs. of experience. We have two Meader trees, one fruited this past year and was excellent. First, should we prune a Persimmon as any other fruit tree, cut off low branches, branches growing inward, etc. ? When is the best time to prune. What other varieties should we try ? Nursery, or do you have trees available ? We were told about Nolin but have not gotten a call through, I am not sure if they were in the Ice Storm.
Thank you, Anthony Nth. IL. z4

Hello Anthony,

Persimmon normally don't need pruning as they drop off (lower) limbs that are heavily shaded. If in full sun you may elect to prune off lower limbs to mow under the tree, etc. But not necessary to prune for best fruit. Claypool's orchard was planted too close, on 10 by 15. So the trees dropped limbs shaded by neighboring trees. The trees are tall with no low limbs.  If you choose to prune, as with other fruit trees my suggestion is prune in the spring.

Question, are your Meader fruits seedless.

You being in northern Illinois would likely benefit from early ripening varieties. Juhl (Yates) is an excellent, large, early, sweet variety. I'm glad to hear Meader does well for you. Thanks for that report.

I have no experience with Nolin so can't speak to it.  If you know how to graft and have understock available I can send you scion wood of Claypool (and some of mine) early varieties that need be tested up north. Don't have trees for sale.

Jerry

Great Deals on Dell Laptops. Starting at $499. (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1217883258x1201191827/aol?redir=http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)