nafex - Re: [NAFEX] My first taste of persimmon

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] My first taste of persimmon
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 00:03:56 -0500

Thanks James (and thanks to the others who replied). I've known about Meader for a long time and have decided against trying it. My yard gets to about -35 F on an average year. Last year we went down to -34 on February 29th (just when I was starting to think the coldest days were over). We have gone to -40 on occasion.
I don't have a sheltered location. I live next to a lake, which is wonderful for moderating temperatures in the growing season. In the winter the ice gets about 3 feet thick and there is not much moderation then. When the wind blows from the north or west, it comes across nearly 2 miles of flat ice and really blasts my yard.
No persimmons for me, I'm afraid.

Steve

JAMES ELIE wrote:
Hey Steve,

An American persimmon may be hardy enough for you. I know the variety
Meader is supposedly hardy to minus thirty. Another plus with Meader is
that it is self-fertile whereas other american persimmons would require you
to plant a male tree and a female tree. I am borderline zones 4 and 5 here
in Green Bay Wisconsin and my Meader has done well. I am still waiting for
my male tree reach maturity to pollinate my NC10, Garretson, and one other
variety (can't recall at the moment).
In a sheltered spot, you might be able to pull it off. Good Luck with
things.

Jim Elie