nafex - Re: [NAFEX] My first taste of persimmon

  • From: Chris Garriss <cgarriss@garriss.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] My first taste of persimmon
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:54:48 -0500

I have had Asian persimmons and native American. While much smaller,
I've found the taste of almost all the Americans to be superior to the
Asians - however I have never seen Americans offered for sale any where
but rarely in a farmer's market. You are definitely out of the range of
any Asians I know of, and dicey at best for the Americans. The
Americans, Diospyros virginiana, are pretty tender when young, but in
theory dormant mature trees are hardy to about -35°C (-31°F). I have
read that Dooley and Geneva Red both grow well at the northern limits of
the range, but have no experience with your zone or named varieties - I
have always picked from the wild. I have a brother in Canada, and have
heard that there are some small distributed populations there - but
mostly near lakes and rivers.

Hope you get to try the Americans at some point.

Chris

On 25.01.2009 17:59 Steve spoke thusly: