nafex - Re: [NAFEX] My first taste of persimmon

  • From: "JAMES ELIE" <tomelzear@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] My first taste of persimmon
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 16:20:25 -0800

Hey Steve,

An American persimmon may be hardy enough for you. I know the variety
Meader is supposedly hardy to minus thirty. Another plus with Meader is
that it is self-fertile whereas other american persimmons would require you
to plant a male tree and a female tree. I am borderline zones 4 and 5 here
in Green Bay Wisconsin and my Meader has done well. I am still waiting for
my male tree reach maturity to pollinate my NC10, Garretson, and one other
variety (can't recall at the moment).

In a sheltered spot, you might be able to pull it off. Good Luck with
things.

Jim Elie