nafex - [NAFEX] Grapes

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grapes
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:32:50 -0600

Anthony Curcio wrote, "We are going to re-start planting grapes this spring. Tried Himrod before but the Japanese beetles and late frost did them in. St. Lawrence offers some hardy varieties, Somerset seedless, St. Pepin, Prairie Star. Has anyone had experience with these or could offer suggestions on a few CH varieties?"

Have you looked at the selections from Miller Nurseries, Canandaigua, N.Y.?

I used to grow Canadice (Seedless) here in zone 3. When Autumn approached, I'd unhook the trellis wires and lay the vines on the ground, scattering some mothballs to keep the mice from munching on the vines. Then I covered the vines with a tarp. covering it with 6" of pine needle/leaf (mixed) mulch. They always made it through the Winters and we always had seedless table grapes to eat. The covering mulch became Summer mulch with drip irrigation beneath.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: