nafex - [NAFEX] Calcium tying up boron???

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Calcium tying up boron???
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 10:48:46 -0600

Doreen Howard said, "I'm thinking the lime is tying up the boron, making it unavailable. I may be wrong, though, as I stayed at a Holiday Inn six months ago and am not an agronomist."

If calcium is tying up boron, it would be via a mechanism that I'm not aware of. May I ask, "Do you live in the Eastern part of the United States?" If so, consider that many of those areas have been under cultivation for two centuries and micronutrients may be depleted. Maybe it is time to add some boron but, before you do, get a soil test to learn just how much you need; it will only cost you about twenty dollars. Get an email off to A & L Laboratories ( www.algreatlakes.com ) and ask them how to proceed.
If your land is in an area where limestone is close to the surface, your land may not have had very much boron to start with.
Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: