nafex - [NAFEX] Thanks for the Killer App!

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Thanks for the Killer App!
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 20:52:26 -0600

Many thanks to Eddie Earle for the USDA website where one can get a custom soil report.  What a killer app!  Way cool.

I'm going to share it with my readers, as I do a monthly column in two magazines.

I learned, actually verified my deductions, that I live on the Griswold glacier moraine, have sandy loam that drains well, have an 8 percent grade and 40 percent calcium carbonate.  I knew I had lime, but didn't realize it was that much.  That explains some of the fruit blossom problems I've been having with Montrose apricot.

Bob Purvis and I were talking about how to get my tree to bear fruit a couple of nights ago, and he mentioned a lack of boron.  I'm thinking the lime is tying up the boron, making it unavailable.  I may be wrong, though, as I stayed at a Holiday Inn six months ago and am not an agronomist.

Again, Eddie Earle, a big thanks!
Doreen Howard