nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Berry and Nut Inventory

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Berry and Nut Inventory
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 18:23:29 -0800 (PST)

I find using the "Fruit Berry and Nut Inventory" to be an exercise in pure
torture. Getting to only read about all those intriguing varieties that
aren't available in Canada or simply haven't a hope of surviving up here is
just not fair! Having said that, it is one of my favourite tools to use in
determining what I might be able to graft and grow up here. The two largest
sources of budwood that I am aware off (PICO in B.C. and Canada's Clonal
Genebank in Ontario) happily send out frustratlying long lists of fruit
identified by common and/or Latin names without any description whatsoever.

I also recommend Brendan Casement's "Description of Apples and Crabapples
That Could Have Been Grown on the Canadian Prairies" (like reading research
notes) and Ontario's Shahrokh Khanizadeh's "Our Apples", "Our Strawberries"
and "Our Plums" (coffee table worthy books stuffed with full colour photos,
electron micrographs, cross-sections, and lots of research information on
cultivars popular in Ontario).

Sarah
Zone 3b Edm. AB