nafex - [NAFEX] Apricot kernels

  • From: "Martha L. Davis" <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apricot kernels
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 11:02:10 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Stephan,

"As your friendly neighborhood biochemist" How do you suggest I test apricot
kernels for low amigdalyn levels? I am grafting a variety of types, some of
which are known to be sweet pit and some bitter and some unknown. I am
interested in using sweet ones as nuts, but certainly not interested in
cyanide poisoning. I know that it is possible to use heat to denature the
enzyme that converts the precursor to the poison, when done on bitter pits
one gets a sort of solid almond flavoring not a nut in the munchie sense, but
it seems likely that that processing method isn't used on the sweet pit ones
and isn't needed. Any ideas?

Martha