nafex - [NAFEX] american persimmon pollination

  • From: "Martha L. Davis" <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] american persimmon pollination
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 11:14:26 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Donna,

I would think twice on chopping down those male persimmon trees. Not all or
even most American persimmons (Virginiana) will set fruit with dust or dead
pollen like Meader does. I think instead of seedless fruits you will
probably get no or few fruit. Occasional male flowers from Early Golden are
useful in breeding, but probably not enough for great fruit set.

Martha

  • [NAFEX] american persimmon pollination, Martha L. Davis, 12/04/2008