nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apricot kernels

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'Martha L. Davis'" <martha_davis@earthlink.net>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apricot kernels
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:47:37 -0800

With a caveat that this is not a complete answer, and there may be other
methods:

Amygdalin can be tested for indirectly. Cyanide is fairly easy to test for
with simple equipment. One can test for amygdalin by converting it to
cyanide and then testing for presence of that cyanide; one can even
determine the concentration of the amygdalin in the sample. You use the
same test whether confirming absence or presence. The thing is, mailing the
instructions for homemade cyanide seems irresponsible...

Laboratories would use a (high performance liquid) chromatograph, but that's
hardly handy home equipment.

I would just stick to sweet/nut varieties that list the kernel as safely
edible. If you're really curious and near a college, they might be willing
to test a sample. So might a commercial lab - but a school could be
cheaper.

~ Stephen