nafex - Re: [NAFEX] credibility of Saskachewan, it's University and Academics

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] credibility of Saskachewan, it's University and Academics
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:27:50 -0800 (PST)

--- On Mon, 11/17/08, Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian/American Plums
> To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
> Date: Monday, November 17, 2008, 9:30 PM

> What's worse, this thing about hybrid plum pollination
> is from something I read on the internet:
> http://www.usask.ca/agriculture/plantsci/dom_fruit/articles/plums.pdf
> It's by some academics at the University of
> Saskatchewan, where I've never even been, so how do I
> know Saskatchewan even exists?

Melissa:

There is pretty good evidence that Saskatchewan exists: as part of North
America, you can find Saskatchewan on many different maps. It's a big
Province in Canada just to the North of Montana and North Dakota.
Saskatchewan should be easy enough to find as it is 80,000 square miles
larger than Montana and 3x the size of North Dakota. The University of
Saskatchewan was established in 1909 and is one of Canada's largest post
secondary institutions. And Mr. Rick Sawatsky is one of the University's
foremost fruit experts and researchers. He has worked on the development and
release of a number of superior zone 2 hardy fruits, but he is probably most
famous for his involvement in the development and release of a group of six
outstanding, tasty, super hardy cherries: Carmine Jewel, Crimson Passion,
Juliet, Romeo, Valentine, and Cupid. In addition to this, Mr. Sawatsky and
his cohorts also have developed some excellent hardy apples,
honeyberries/haskaps, and
raspberries, and they also have hazelnuts coming down the pipeline. I really
can't comment on his expertise on plum pollen, but Mr. Sawatsky's knowledge
on fruits in general is certainly well known and respected up here.

Sarah
zone 3 Alberta (that's the Canadian province right beside Saskatchewan and
above Montana)