nafex - Re: [NAFEX] blueberry pruning

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] blueberry pruning
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:50:13 -0700 (PDT)

Barbara,

If that's all there is to the plants, then yes I would prune them back a bit.
You'll notice as they start to go dormant that there are fat buds towards
the tips of them whereas the ones lower down on the stem are very small in
comparison. These fat ones are what will flower next year. If they were my
plants, I would wait until they are about to break dormancy in late winter
and then prune these tips off. Then I would feed and water the plant next
year and hopefully it will have a little bit more on it to support a small
crop in 2010.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon