nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pruning blueberries

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pruning blueberries
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 08:03:33 -0700 (PDT)

Barbara,

How old are your plants, and how long are those two long canes? Pruning
practices differ for plants in the first and second year after planting than
they do for established bushes. For an established bush, you wouldn't want
to prune these back because the tips are where the fruit will be next year
and the plants will branch naturally on their own. If these are new plants I
would head them back a little to prevent them from flowering and fruiting
next spring. Blueberries do much better if you allow them to establish
themselves for a year or two before allowing them to fruit. If the plants
are in a good spot with adequate moisture and fertility, they should send up
some new whips this spring and you won't have just the two.

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com
phainopepla@yahoo.com