nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple poll / late season

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple poll / late season
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 00:55:32 -0400

D Stubbs wrote:
Yep! I get the egg-on-my-face award for this one, I have Redwell, not Redfree.
Regarding season - some of our apples are 4 to 6 weeks out of season this year - I call Chestnut apple-crab our 'wild rice apple' because it is what we eat dozens of while ricing in late August / early Sept. - they are just now getting ripe.
Del Z2/3

Gee, and I tried to back you up, blaming the late ripening on your location. ;-)

Speaking of Chestnut crab, do yours taste as good as usual this year? Mine are late too, with most of them still hanging on the tree. They are usually my favorite flavored apple with a rich, sweet, complex flavor. This year, I could describe them about the same but I don't like them. Something in the flavor just isn't right. I wonder if that will be true if they ever ripen this late again some year?

Steve