nafex - Re: [NAFEX] one apple tree's history

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] one apple tree's history
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 01:48:54 -0400

D Stubbs wrote:
A friend from Iowa sent this
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200809290405/NEWS/809290331

Boy, that article sure left me with a lot of questions. I have read the history of the red delicious apple before, so there was little new there for me except for the surprise that the original delicious tree still exists on its own original roots. I had always heard that the tree was originally named Hawkeye (as the article says) and that it was a red striped apple. The pictures don't look like striped apples and they look more round than I expected.
Other questions from the article:
Is it even possible for a tree to die and then sprout up from the roots 6 years later? When I've ever had a tree die, it was really dead for good.
I wonder how many years it was dead that 2nd time when it sprouted yet again? I don't believe the article gave any clue.
29,600 bushels of Galas puts it in 2nd place? I assume they left off a few zeros?
I think I had other questions but I should have gone to bed about 2 hours ago...

One more thing though. I have heard that the trees now called Hawkeye are from the original tree. I also once heard that if they are not original, they are an old cultivar and pretty close to the original. Now the article claims that the actual original tree still lives (after 2 reincarnations) so true original scion wood must be available if that is really true.

I decided last spring that I would try to locate some Hawkeye scion wood and graft it to just one branch of one of my trees. I would be curious how the original tasted ... or at least how it tastes when grown in my climate. Does anyone know of a source for Hawkeye scion wood that is likely to be from the original tree (or at least real close)?

Steve in the Adirondacks (good night)