nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple poll

  • From: "D Stubbs" <dsmndel@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple poll
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 08:48:59 -0500

We're in zone 2/3. Heavy well sloped soil. Of your list we have Redfree, Regent, Norkent, Beacon.
I harvested our first Redfree yesterday, not precocious, large smooth evenly red good looking apple, average flavor,  easy tree to shape open. ( grafted below ground on Renetka 11 years ago)
Norkent (pf5) from Canada is my wife's favorite eating apple of 50 some we have fruited so far, be sure to let it tree ripen, fairly precocious, very produtive, ripens over a month, was grafted above ground on bud 118, wants to grow tight and vertical, a struggle to open it up, I will be grafting more of these.
Regent, lovely apple, common a couple hundred miles south of us in MN. Good tree shape.
Beacon, on Bud9, wants to grow vertical,  I only planted it for its hardiness, will probably juice this one, rather than sell it for eating.
Del