nafex - [NAFEX] All rise: the Albemarle Pippin

  • From: "David Consolvo" <fruitopia@firstva.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] All rise: the Albemarle Pippin
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 09:39:46 -0400

Hi, I live in Albemarle County (central Virginia), so that must make me an
infallible authority on the Albemarle Pippin. Of course we never call it a
Newtown Pippin here, even though Newtown came first.

My holler has "pippin land", a dark sandy loam which was considered ideal for
the Albemarle Pippin. A neighbor, since died, told me they grew apples in
the holler, which is what they sold, and corn up the mountainside, which is
what they ate. Some of you at the NAFEX meeting near here saw my last
Albemarle Pippin tree planted in the 1890's.

My experience with the old trees around here is that its production is of
average reliability. It is not particularly disease resistant. Apples are
typically greenish yellow. A really tree-ripened apple which had good sun
can have a pink (not red) blush on the sun side. Those are the best-tasting
ones.

They store great, even in less-than-ideal conditions. Taste improves with
storage. Like most apples, those picked real early last longest, but never
taste as good.

Pure Albemarle Pippin cider (before the 1990's pasteurization law) brought
twice the price of my other types (which were already priced high), and sold
out immediately. It was unequivocably richer than other ciders. But I was
careful to pick them only when fully ripe.
~David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia